Kat Biggie Press is a small hybrid publisher with a niche in women’s non-fiction books, self-help, spiritual, and some entrepreneur self-help/business books. We hope to make the world a better place by publishing high-quality books that inspire, that are about transformation, self-help, healing, overcoming the odds and doing good from it, teaching the world your knowledge to help someone else along the way, and encouragement. We also publish some fiction that has an overall message of empowering women and social change.
Purple Butterfly Press, a small press for children’s books, especially those books that follow the same guidelines of books that are encouraging, inspirational, and teach important lessons or help solve a problem, is also under the wings of Kat Biggie Press.
Unlike traditional publishing houses, which often don’t support you with the marketing help and publishing coaching you need, KBP gives authors a traditional house experience, while allowing you to retain full ownership of your project.
Kat Biggie Press/Purple Butterfly Press is committed to Excellence through our hybrid publishing model. We work hard to produce high-quality books and many of our titles have received rave reviews from the trade and awards.
Kat Biggie Press Publishing offers one publishing package. The investment is $4,000 to qualified authors. This package includes:
- Manuscript evaluation
- Editing recommendations & proofreading
- High-quality custom cover design.
- Custom interior design and typesetting – unique to each book – see below for more details
- Proofreading of final layout for style and design consistency.
- Preparation of final files for printing in different formats including Print-on-Demand (POD) and short-run print for paperback.
- Ebook formatting and uploading to e-retailers, including Kindle, Nook, iTunes, and Kobo
- Optimized and consistent metadata.
- Copyright filing and Library of Congress PCN application or P-CIP data block (when necessary)
- Ongoing project management of this title for the term of the contract
- Ten (10) complimentary copies of final version of the Work for the author and additional copies for editorial reviews and editorial reviews
- Author may purchase additional copies of their book at cost plus 10%.
- For original art on cover or interior, a separate fee will be negotiated.
- Ongoing project management of your title for the lifespan of your book
- Book distribution to major stores & outlets
- We are currently working with Vervante Press to provide:
- Warehousing of short-run printed books with Vervante Press
- Fulfillment of all orders on short-run printed books (author or customer pays shipping)
We are extremely committed to ensuring our authors know how to market themselves and grow their author platform. We have numerous courses and coaching programs that our authors receive access to as part of their package.
- Monthly meetings with the publishing team to ensure you’re on track with your pre-launch, launch, and post-launch efforts
- Your book will be widely available
- One month on NetGalley for reviews.
- Support and recommendations for entering award competitions*.
- Marketing and Publicity of the Work through title display on Publisher’s website, social media exposure on Publisher’s social media pages, collaboration with Author’s marketing agents for 6 months before and after publication.
- Complete Book Landing Page on Kat Biggie Press Website that includes links to buy, book description, author bio, metadata, and downloadable Book One Sheet.
* Third party fees to be paid by Author
Custom Cover Design
Design front, back, and spine. Includes multiple mockups plus modifications to one design then developed to final design. Adjusted for hardcover case bound and/or dustjacket, paperback and ebook. Our designer also includes three social media promo graphics with images of your book.
Interior Pages – Print
Includes 2-3 options for layout and typestyle. Layout and typesetting for interior pages includes:
- Formatting of final edited text (MS Word document preferred) to layout, up to 400 pages
- Placement of up to 20 photos and graphics (client supplied)
- 3 rounds of changes, up to 6 hours (additional changes billed hourly)
- 1 final round of minimal changes after proofreading before publication, up to 2 hours
Prepare content of final book layout for ebook formatting: Kindle (mobi), Nook and other devices (epub). Intricate layouts or books heavy in graphics and images will likely require an additional charge.
The final document submitted by the author must be thoroughly edited and proofread prior to submission. Our team will check for minimal errors of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and consistency of style after final layout. If extensive errors are found, author will be charged at a rate of $60/hour to fix the errors.
Advance Reading Copy
Title will be prepared for ARC version, with up to 1 hour of revisions and addition of advance blurbs added to back cover or inside pages after reviews come in.
Title Setup with Distributor
Includes title setup and optimization of the title metadata and sales information, and management of the proofing process for POD distribution to online retailers like Amazon and Ingram for bookstores, libraries and schools. Management of short-run offset printing if requested. Other distribution channels may become available.
Our calendar usually fills months in advance, so please plan with this in mind. Generally speaking, The full timeline usually takes 9-12 months. Estimated time for completion of production is 4-6 months after final edited manuscript is received. Advance marketing and acquiring professional reviews is recommended and requires ARC to be available 4-6 months prior to publication date.
Publishing support and project direction is provided commencing on effective date of the contract once deposit has been paid. If you are not ready to publish, but would like our help to prepare we offer consulting packages. Ask for more details.
- Royalties are paid bi-annually in January and July. Author receives 60% on print books and 75% on ebooks.
Other Services Available
Additional design work and consulting beyond what is described above is also available.
The following list is additional services that we can provide to you to help you grow as an author and publish your book. These services are billed at an hourly rate, or in packages.
Consulting can be purchased hourly or at discounted rates when paid in advance, minimum 3 hours.
On request, traditional, short-run offset printing will be arranged and managed by the publisher through our industry partners. May be required for distribution. Author pays for printing and shipping.
Author Marketing Services
Some launch and marketing is included in the cost of the package, in addition to access to the Success Publishing Academy and Market Your Book! courses. Packages or individual services are available for social media, newsletters, website content, author platform, blog tours, reviews, ebook marketing, and more at the request of the authors.
Author websites are available in several configurations and price ranges. We can help determine your needs and make recommendations to create a new website or to enhance and update your current website.
All of the above services are available if you want to self-publish your book. Ask for more information.
Purple Butterfly Press
For children’s books, we offer the Purple Butterfly Press package. It is also $4000 and includes:
- All of the above (as relevant to a children’s book)
- Full management of the publishing process, coordination with all players, and guidance and training of the author.
- Developmental editing and copyediting of the manuscript.
- Layout and interior design of the final illustrations
- cover design if the illustrator does not know how to format a cover (with illustration provided by the illustrator)
- Copyright filing and obtaining your Library of Congress control number
- Ongoing project management of your title for the lifespan of your book
- High-level support for getting your books into bookstores, libraries, and other trade outlets
- 100 print (softcover) books – we will do an initial print-run for you to have books for promo, advanced reviewers, advanced sales if you want to sell them, book signings, or giveaways. From there you can order at wholesale costs in whatever quantity you need.
- Basic Marketing and promotion leading up to the launch.
- Author training and marketing programs to help you market and sell your book
More on the hybrid press model
There are always lots of questions about what it means to be a hybrid press.
First, we take our publishing seriously and are committed to following the guidelines as established by the Independent Book Publisher’s Association (IBPA) of which we are an active member.
Hybrids are not a vanity press. We care about editorial quality, good covers, and knowing the industry well so that we can perform well with our books.
Many people have only heard about traditional and self-publishing but hybrid publishing allows a combination for a really nice partnership between publishers committed to producing great books and authors who want a little more input into the publishing process but don’t want to learn to be a publisher on their own.
While you will contribute to some of the costs associated with publishing as a hybrid author, here are a few of the advantages for taking the hybrid route:
- You’ll learn the ropes without the risk of being taken advantage of by services, big box “self-publishing” businesses, vanity presses, and other companies who prey on authors. When you hybrid publish you invest in yourself and partner with your publisher, allowing far more freedom and creative input over your book than a traditional publisher will ever give you.
- Hybrids operate similarly to traditional publishers – there is a submissions process, editorial review, control the cover design (often with your input), and have a direct path to sales distribution.
- You will have to be selected by the hybrid press, and they only choose books that they love and fit within their selected genres, unlike vanity presses that take all books, regardless of quality.
- You retain the rights to your work with a hybrid publisher. The copyright is filed in your name.
- You’ll earn more royalties (much higher!) with a hybrid publisher, even if you don’t get an advance.
- Your book is automatically more credible than a self-published book.
- Many hybrid publishers work hard to see you succeed as an author, through more marketing and author training platforms.
We are firm believers that you should choose the option that is best for you, but it’s important for you to be knowledgable on all options available.
Kat Biggie Press Updates
Be in the KNOW about upcoming books, promotions, free days, etc